PISCATAWAY, N.J. – No. 15 Rutgers wrestling opens its 2023-24 dual season out west with duals against Cal Poly and Duke on Friday, November 3 in San Luis Obispo, California. The Scarlet Knights face the Blue Devils at 7 p.m. ET and follow with the Mustangs at 10:30 p.m. ET. RU’s dual with Cal Poly will stream on Cal Poly’s athletic website and on X. Friday’s first match with Duke will not be streamed.
Rutgers enters the first week of the season ranked No. 15 in the initial NWCA Coaches Poll and No. 14 by Intermat. Individually, the Scarlet Knights are one of just seven programs with student-athletes ranked at all 10 weight classes by Intermat, which includes top-12 ranked wrestlers No. 6 Dean Peterson (125), No. 6 Yaraslau Slavikouski (HWT), No. 10 Brian Soldano (184) and No. 12 John Poznanski (197).
This season’s roster features 12 NCAA qualifiers and two All-Americans – Poznanski and Jackson Turley (174). Rutgers has also added three student-athletes – Slavikouski (Harvard), Jacob Butler (Oklahoma) and Mitch Moore (Oklahoma) – with NCAA Championships experience. Moore and Slavikouski competed at last year’s NCAA Championships, with Slavikouski advancing to the Round of 12 at heavyweight for the Crimson.
Projected Lineup: No. 15 Rutgers (0-0, 0-0)
125: 6/9 Dean Peterson -OR- Brandon Chletsos
133: 16/19 Dylan Shawver
141: 17/16 Mitch Moore -OR- Joe Fongaro
149: 25/NR Jacob Butler -OR- Michael Cetta
157: 21/19 Andrew Clark -OR- Al DeSantis
165: 24/NR Anthony White -OR- Luke Gayer
174: 28/NR Jackson Turley -OR- Shane Cartagena-Walsh
184: 10/8 Brian Soldano
197: 12/13 John Poznanski
HWT: 6/11 Yaraslau Slavikouski -OR- Kyle Epperly
Projected Lineup: RV Cal Poly (0-0, 0-0)
125: Dom Mendez
133: Zeth Romney
141: Abe Hinrichsen
149: 8/7 Chance Lamer
157: 26/NR Legend Lamer
165: Michael Goldfeder
174: 23/19 Adam Kemp
184: Kendall La Rosa
197: Jarad Priest
HWT: 25/25 Trevor Tinker -OR- Josh Harkey
Projected Lineup: Duke (0-0, 0-0)
125: Logan Agin
133: Raymond Adams
141: Peter Chacon
149: Jarred Papcsy
157: Logan Ferrero -OR- Nick Tattini
165: Gaetano Console -OR- Aidan Wallace
174: Jack Wimmer
184: Connor Becker
197: Kwasi Bonsu
HWT: Connor Barket
What to Know
- Rutgers has nine home dates on its schedule and seven duals against ranked opponents in 2023-24. The challenging slate includes top-10 matchups with No. 1 Penn State (February 12), No. 4 Virgina Tech (November 17), No. 7 Ohio State (February 4), and No. 9 Michigan (January 21).
- RU finished No. 22 in the final 2022-23 NWCA Coaches Poll, the 10th final top-25 finish under head coach Scott Goodale. Rutgers produced seven NCAA qualifiers for the second consecutive season and qualified five or more student-athletes to the national tournament for the ninth consecutive season.
- Four wrestlers – Clark, Soldano, Peterson and White – made their NCAA Championships debut last season, with Peterson finishing one win shy of All-America status.
- The Scarlet Knights finished fourth in the country in home attendance average last season, with 5,018 fans per home match at Jersey Mike’s Arena during the 2022-23 campaign. It marked the seventh consecutive season Rutgers finished top five nationally in attendance.
Scouting Cal Poly & Series History
- Cal Poly finished 8-6 last season, including a 5-0 conference record en route to the 2023 Pac-12 dual meet title. The Mustangs sent four to the 2023 NCAA Championships in Tulsa, where Bernie Truax finished fourth in the country at 197 pounds to claim his third consecutive All-America laurel.
- Cal Poly features four ranked wrestlers, according to Intermat. Chance Lamer (149) is the team’s highest-ranked student-athlete at No. 8 in the country.
- Rutgers is 1-1 all-time against Cal Poly. The Scarlet Knights defeated the Mustangs, 38-4, on November 11, 2016, out in California and lost to Cal Poly, 24-22, on February 11, 2012, at the College Avenue Gym.
Scouting Duke & Series History
- Duke finished 3-12 in dual action last season. Jonah Niesenbaum (HWT) represented the Blue Devils at last season’s NCAA Championships.
- Rutgers is 1-0 all-time against Duke, winning the only previous meeting, 28-6, on February 7, 2004, during a neutral-site dual in College Park, Maryland.
Potential Ranked-vs.-Ranked Matchups
- 149: 8/7 Chance Lamer (Cal Poly) vs. 25/NR Jacob Butler
- 157: 26/NR Legend Lamer (Cal Poly) vs. 21/19 Andrew Clark
- 174: 23/19 Adam Kemp (Cal Poly) vs. 28/NR Jackson Turley
- HWT: 25/25 Trevor Tinker (Cal Poly) vs. 6/11 Yaraslau Slavikouski
- Rutgers opens its 2023-24 home schedule on Friday, November 17 against No. 4 Virginia Tech. The out-of-conference dual is set for 7 p.m. ET on Big Ten Plus. Season and single-match tickets are on sale now.
- The Scarlet Knights will also have wrestlers compete in the Princeton Open on Sunday, November 5 at Jadwin Gymnasium. Six student-athletes will wrestle attached, with the remaining appearing unattached in the single-day tournament.